Often when a Hot Water System fails, the result can be quite catastrophic. Not only can your house be flooded, but your reliance on hot water means everything in your house can come to a disastrous halt. No hot water, no hot showers, no clean dishes, no clean clothes, no thank you!
Generally, when a Hot Water System goes it is completely unexpected. Most homeowners are unprepared for such a predicament, creating an emergency where the Hot Water System needs to be replaced urgently. Often a Homeowner will need to make a decision quickly. You may not have the opportunity to research your options to determine which replacement unit is best suited to your needs.
As an Emergency Plumber, one of the most common emergencies we are called to is because a Hot Water System has failed. You always need an urgent solution to a hot water system emergency. You can rest assured that at RD Plumbing Solutions, as hot water specialists, have you covered!
With all the different Hot Water System options available on the market, how do you know which is the right system for your needs? To make the decision even more complicated, we are spoilt for choice. There are many quality brands on the market such as Thermann, Rinnai, Bosch, Rheem and Dux to name a few.
In the majority of homes, the Hot Water System is the appliance with the second highest energy consumption (behind heating and cooling). Making the right decision is important, as Hot Water Systems can account for up to a quarter of household energy bills. Plus no-one wants to run out of hot water!
So what factors do we take into consideration when determining what is the best Hot Water System replacement for our clients? It can be complicated, as every household and family is different, with varying needs and using their hot water differently.
We want to share with you some of the factors that RD Plumbing Solutions consider when assessing your hot water requirements. This is what we use to make a recommendation for a Hot Water System replacement.
Gas, Electric or Solar Hot Water Systems
Hot Water Systems evolve and get more efficient over time. If you replace your existing Hot Water System with the same type, you may not be getting the most cost-effective and efficient solution. Elements to consider, which affect which type of system which is suitable, include:
- The availability of Natural Gas to your property.
- The size of the gas pipes supplying your house. Smaller pipes are more suited to gas storage systems, while larger pipes are suitable for gas instantaneous.
- In the case of solar, the position of your property and the available roof space.
These elements will help you narrow down the best fit system for you.
The design of your home
It is important that your Hot Water System is installed in the optimal position to ensure it functions as efficiently and effectively as possible. The design of your home influences where a Hot Water System can be installed.
Things that can affect the type of Hot Water System that you are able to install include:
- where the windows are positioned in the direct vicinity of the unit
- the distance of your neighbour’s house from yours
This may also determine whether you choose a gas storage Hot Water System, an electric storage Hot Water System, or an Instantaneous (Tankless) unit.
The size of your household
While you should take into account the size of your house, it’s just as important to consider how you use your hot water. The number of bathrooms, as well as the number of people living in the house are also important considerations.
- Is it common for hot water to be used simultaneously throughout the property?
- Do you have a small family is living in a home, but they may have all the showers in the house running at once.
- Do you use other Hot Water Appliances (such as a dishwasher and washing machine) at the same time.
These all could contribute to them requiring a larger Hot Water System.
The purchase price of your hot water system is only one cost you need to consider. The cost of installation is also important, but also the long-term running costs of your Hot Water System.
These running costs are a crucial factor in selecting a Hot Water System. You will be paying these bills long after the new Hot Water System has been installed.
- Certain types of Electric Hot Water System are less expensive to purchase and install. However, they can be quite costly to run. Not to mention that they can also produce high greenhouse gas emissions.
- Heat Pump Hot Water Heaters, which may incur less expensive running costs. However, the expense of servicing and maintaining these units can make them a less cost-effective solution in the long term.
Other considerations that you may wish to contemplate when replacing your Hot Water System include:
- whether the new system is compatible with your existing shower heads
- the amount of greenhouse gas emissions that the system produces
- how environmentally friendly it is
- also are there any Government or Federal rebates on offer, in regards to particular units.
Choosing the right Hot Water System is a complicated decision to make. It can have long-lasting effects on your family, your future Hot Water usage and your budget. It is a decision that is generally made in the stress of a plumbing emergency. Your existing Hot Water System has failed. You may be in the throes of a massive cleanup effort. You have no Hot Water, turning your day upside down. You need a solution and quickly. Let us take the stress and worry out of the situation for you.
Taking the stress out of your hot water system emergency
RD Plumbing Solutions offer our clients both Emergency Plumbing and Same Day Services. We can supply and install a hot water heater, or perform emergency hot water repairs, 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
A Hot Water System Specialist can be at your home in no time to make an assessment. They will be able to advise you if it’s viable to repair your hot water system, or if a complete replacement is required.
Our Hot Water System Specialists have years of experience and expertise, together with countless hours spent training. Our Master Plumbers familiarise themselves with the latest technology and products available to improve your hot water experience. Knowing that our plumbers have the knowledge and skills to determine the best replacement Hot Water System for your needs gives you peace of mind.