Hot Water is vital to the everyday running of most households, so when your Hot Water System springs a leak we understand that you need an emergency plumber and fast! However, what if your leak is more than a drip? What else can you do to protect your home?
Should you find yourself in this emergency situation, there are a few steps that you can follow to fix your leaking hot water system problems fast.
Step 1: Determine where the leak is coming from
Is the leak originating from pipework connected to your Hot Water System? Is the leak coming from the Temperature Pressure Relief Valve? If so you may not have a problem. The Valve is designed to drip occasionally, to release any build-up of pressure caused by high temperatures within the tank. However, if it is dripping regularly or flowing continuously, the valve may be faulty.
Step 2: Turn off the Electricity Supply
The combination of water and electricity can be fatal, for this reason, it is essential to turn off the electricity supply at your power board immediately.
Step 3: Turn off the gas supply
Should you have a Gas Hot Water System, you will need to turn off the gas supply to the unit.
Step 4: Turn off the Water Supply
If the Tank is leaking profusely, you may need to turn off the mains water. However, we would recommend that you store some water in buckets and bottles before turning the water off.
Step 5: Check the Warranty
Most Hot Water Systems are covered by a 10-year warranty. To determine the age of your Hot Water System, you will need to locate the manufacturing plate on the tank and check the manufacture date.
Step 6: Call RD Plumbing Solutions
Contact us to arrange a Hot Water System Specialist to inspect your Hot Water System. Call 0422 902 890.
If you have any concerns about following the above steps, please contact our Hot Water System Specialists, who will be able to guide you through the process in more detail.
Once on site, our specialist will assess if we can repair the water tank inside your hot water system, or whether a complete replacement will better suit your needs. There are many options available when it comes to replacing your unit, and many factors to consider (such as the size of the household, energy efficiency, the environment and what is best economically), however, RD Plumbing Solutions are experts installing, repairing and replacing Instant Gas, Solar, Electric, Tankless or Gas Storage Hot Water Systems. Our Hot Water System Specialists will take the worry out of this emergency plumbing situation and help you to make an informed decision about how best to proceed: if repair is a viable option and what is the best replacement option to suit your family’s needs. We will even remove and dispose of the damaged Hot Water System on your behalf. We understand how stressful and inconvenient it is for you and your family to be without hot water, and we will go out of our way to resolve your issue quickly.
Other signs that could indicate that your Hot Water System may be failing include:
- No hot water or a drop in water temperature
- Water pressure fluctuating
- Pilot light continuously going out
- The tank is making a whistling sound
- Hot water appears ‘dirty’ or discoloured
- Higher water bills than usual.
Hot Water Systems can be like bombs, waiting to explode (in extreme situations). If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, we recommend that you contact RD Plumbing Solutions immediately. One of our experienced and professional Hot Water System Specialists is available to inspect your Hot Water System and give you peace of mind.
While most Hot Water Systems have a lifespan varying between 10 and 20 years, there are things you can do to increase the lifespan of your unit, to ensure that your Warranty does not become void and also to protect your home. The most effective way is through regular plumbing maintenance and in particular we would recommend the following:
- Have your hot water system inspected by your plumber annually (unless you are experiencing any problems).
- Have your Plumber replace the Sacrificial Anode every 5 years (to avoid the manufacturer’s warranty being void). The Anode is a magnesium rod within the unit, which is designed to attract any minerals in the tank. Once the rod becomes corroded, it will no longer draw the minerals in the water to it, and the tank will begin to rust and leak.
- Operate your Temperature Pressure Relief Valve 6 monthly (if fitted to your Hot Water System), to ensure that it is still in working order and not malfunctioning, and also so that your manufacturer’s warranty does not become void. The Temperature Pressure Relief Valve is designed to release any build-up of pressure caused by high temperatures within the tank.
- Have your Plumber replace the Temperature Pressure Relief Valve every 5 years (again, so that your manufacturer’s warranty does not become void).
- Have your plumber test the Water Pressure going into your property, as if the pressure is too high it can cause the Hot Water System to fail (and may also affect your manufacturer’s warranty).
We have many years of experience as emergency plumbers and have found that if your Hot Water System is going to spring a leak or fail, it will happen when you least expect; when you are doing the dishes, about to bath the baby or you are in the middle of washing your hair. Don’t get caught out in the cold, contact RD Plumbing Solutions today and arrange for a routine inspection of your Hot Water System!